Welcome to the Michigan Koi & Pond Club Website
The purpose of the Michigan Koi & Pond Club is to promote the keeping, appreciating and exhibiting of Koi, also known as Nishikigoi, as well as water gardening as a hobby. The Club engages in educational activities related to our hobby and strives to disseminate information to our members and to the general public.
The MKPC was founded in 1996 and continues to meet monthly from March through November. We strive to provide an array of topics and educational activities that are both interesting and useful for our members whether a newcomer to this hobby or an experienced pond keeper. Monthly newsletters are sent to our members from March through October. Our Pond Tour is an annual event for us and is located in a different city each year within the tri-county area around Detroit. In 2012, the MKPC held its first Koi Show which has now become an annual event.
Meetings and events are generally held the third Saturday of the month, usually at 1 pm. Please visit the Upcoming Events section for more information on our next meeting.
We appreciate your interest and encourage newcomers to contact us if you have any questions.
See Japan through the Eyes of Dick Thomas
Japan through the Eyes of Dick Thomas
Speaker: Dick Thomas
April 23, 2016 @ 1pm
Go on a trip for the day with Dick Thomas, fellow hobbyist, ZNA Assistant Certified Koi Judge and ZNA NA District Chair, and see Japan through his eyes as he searches for that special future Koi. Dick has taken many trips to Japan to visit various Koi farms. He will be talking about those travels and will explain what he is looking for at each one of the farms. We will be introduced to the breeders that he has been to and learn what each breeder specializes in. The filtration systems used at these koi farms will also be discussed.
This meeting is scheduled for Saturday, April 23th, @ 1:00pm. and will be held at the Civic Park Senior Center, 15218 Farmington Rd., Livonia (corner of Farmington Rd and 5 Mile Rd.).
Please note that due to unforeseen circumstances, this event has been changed from April 16 to 23.
Any questions, please contact Ray Alexander at 734-846-8588 or email@example.com.
How to Properly Quarantine Your Koi
How to Properly Quarantine Your Koi
May 21, 2016 @ 1:00pm
In life to do anything well, you need to learn and apply the rules of engagement, with that thought in mind the same applies to successful Koi keeping.
We all add new Koi to our ponds at some time, some of you will buy new Koi at our yearly Koi auction in June, so this is a really good time to talk about how to properly quarantine Koi. Whether you are a new or seasoned Koi keeper, you will benefit greatly from this frank, simple in-depth discussion.
Things to be discussed:
- Upon arrival what is the most important things that a new Koi needs?
- Why should you always quarantine new Koi inside?
- How big should your quarantine tank be?
- Besides the tank, what other things do you need to properly Quarantine new or sick Koi?
- What are the pros and cons of using salt in your quarantine tank?
- What is the proper procedure to remove Koi from the shipping bag?
- How should you feed your Koi during the quarantine period?
- How long should the quarantine period last?
- Why you should not quarantine a koi by itself?
- What is the last thing you should do before adding a new koi to your pond?
- Remember when you add a new Koi you are asking it to adapt to a new life. This will not always be seamless. Having and using a good quarantine system is the most effective way to avoid contaminating your existing Koi and to make sure your new Koi can adapt to your pond.
Looking forward to seeing you at our May meeting.
6249 Thorncrest Drive
Bloomfield Hills, Mi 48301
Any questions, call Ervin at 248-736-3833 or email firstname.lastname@example.org